February 19, 2018
Here’s to you and here’s to me in hopes we never disagree ….
You make a toast to recognize, celebrate, and share the moment with others, passing along good wishes. It is an opportunity to add extra meaning and significance to an event and can be appropriate for almost any occasion. Yet, today making a toast is not as common as it should be.
Many of us only hear quick toasts at formal events, and sometimes they aren’t thought out toasts.
A toast should be short and sweet. Two minutes is a maximum amount of time for a good toast.
A toast is not about you. Your toast should focus on someone or something else.
Use powerful adjectives to describe the person you’re toasting.
Be light on the humor so you don’t steal attention from the subject of the toast.
And, just to be careful, if you’re new to toasting, you might write it down just in case you have a brain freeze and forget what you had planned to say.
Then at the end, tell the audience when it is time to raise their glasses. Ask the audience to raise their glass, express feelings toward the subject and finally end with “Cheers”.
Here’s some things happening in Guymon that you might not want to miss …
- Feb. 20-22 are auditions for the Guymon Community Theatre production of Spamalot, a musical ripped off from the motion picture “Monty Python and the Holy Grail.” Should be funny!
- Feb. 20 is the Main Street Guymon Awards Evening when we salute our volunteers and give out awards for wonderful projects and works that happened in 2017.
- There’s a Sorry Tournament at the OPSU Library at 6:30 pm on Feb. 21. I love board games.
- At noon on Feb. 22 is the TCEC Community Connections Spotlight at H&R Block. That same evening is OPSU basketball with the women at 6 pm and the men starting at 8.
- Feb. 24 is a Saturday and there are quite a few things happening that day. From 11 to 2, with a light lunch provided, is a Parenting meeting for parents or guardians of children with special needs. Call Shand Oden at 580-461-3528 if you’re interested in going or to learn more about it.
- Then from 1:30 – 3:30 is a free Leadership Workshop provided by the Toastmasters groups. Leaders are from Amarillo and there is no obligation to join Toastmasters, but a chance to learn more about getting ahead in today’s business world. Call 338-7270 to reserve a spot.
- At 5 pm that same day, the 24th, is an OPSU men’s basketball game.
A great week ahead of us. Let’s toast to all we have a chance to take part in!
See you on the bricks!