Attending Rotary last week was a lesson in hilarity. Bob Burgess gave the 17th Reading of the Ode to the Barbecue. “It’s not easy being Barbecue Bob,” he said as solemn as can be. “I’m to be commended.” That you are, Bob!
With over 1,800 people served at the annual Rotary Barbecue on the Friday of Pioneer Days (this week), generally in less than an hour and a half, it is a sight to behold. And the organizer of the shindig is Barbecue Bob. And he does it with a straight face and sarcasm that makes us all laugh.
I love being a Guymon Rotarian.
I love Pioneer Days.
There are so many things happening this week … take a look for Thursday:
- Chicken and Noodle Supper at the Pentecostal Church, 1009 N Ellison; and
- Meet the Rodeo Queens lunch at Epic Touch, Northridge Shopping Center.
- Miss Guymon Pioneer Days Rodeo Pageant Breakfast at Ambassador;
- Kid’s Clown Contest at Big R Standard Supply at 10:30;
- Spikes and Spurs Golf Tournament at 11:00;
- Rotary BBQ at 11:30 at Texas County Activity Center;
- Mutton Bustin’ at 6:45 at the Arena; and
- Rodeo at 7:30 and it’s Tough Enough to Wear Pink night.
- Old Timer’s Breakfast by Seaboard at Fairgrounds, 5:30;
- 5K Run / Walk behind Activity Center, 7:00 am;
- Pancake Eating Contest and Entertainment, 7:30 at Commercial Building;
- Mercantile Arts and Crafts Show at Activity Center, 10 am to 7 pm;
- Parade at 10:30 am;
- Lunch for Seniors, Potluck at No Man’s Land Center 15th and East St.;
- Lunch for Veterans at the American Legion;
- Mutton Bustin’ at 1:15 at arena;
- Rodeo at 2 pm;
- Tractor Pull on south side of fairgrounds, 2:30 – 5 pm;
- Mutton Bustin’ at 6:45 pm;
- Pioneer Day Dance at Senior Citizens at 7 pm; and
- Rodeo at 7:30 pm.
- Cowboy Church at the arena, 10 am;
- Mercantile Arts and Crafts at Activity Center, 11 am – 5 pm;
- Mutton Bustin’ at 1:15 at rodeo arena;
- Rodeo at 2 pm; and
- Boats and Trains at Sunset Lake from 2 pm til dark.
Have a great time celebrating our Pioneer Heritage this week! And when you see one of the hundreds of Pioneer Day and Chamber volunteers that make this happen, you give them a pat on the back. They deserve it. Few communities have such a wonderful celebration as this and those volunteers deserve our thanks.
See you on the bricks!